Joan Rivers In Coma: Family Plans To Sue Over Botched Throat Surgery

4:05 PM EDT 9/1/2014 by Lindsay Cronin, Celebeat Reporter

Sign Up for Celebeat's Newsletter and never miss out on our most popular stories.
Close

Joan Rivers' family is considering a lawsuit over the botched throat surgery, which left her in a coma.

At the end of last week, the Fashion Police host was rushed to a New York hospital after a procedure on her vocal cords went terribly wrong. Now, as she remains in a medically-induced coma, the 81-year-old comedian's family is reportedly planning to sue the clinic, in which she underwent the surgery.

"Shock and upset is turning to anger, and they are looking for someone to blame," a source told the NY Daily News of the Rivers' family on Aug. 31. “The night before, she was performing and now she is on life support. An 81-year-old should not have that procedure as an outpatient. Very ill advised.”

On Thursday, Aug. 28, Joan visited the Yorkville Endoscopy center, where she was scheduled for a routine throat procedure. However, the "routine" procedure nearly turned deadly when Joan stopped breathing. Right away, she was taken to the Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, where doctors placed her in a coma.

Currently, Joan is still in a coma, but expected to come out of the coma at some point tomorrow. Still, her recovery process isn't a sure thing, and according to the source, she may never fully recover.

"The waking-up process has begun and will take until Tuesday," the source explained. "There is real concern that the part of the brain that controls motor skills may have been compromised, leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair.”

In a statement released to Us Weekly on Sunday, Melissa said, "We are keeping our fingers crossed."

See Now: Eminem Album: 2 Chainz Confirms Collaboration With the King of Hip Hop; Adele, Imagine Dragons, Nicki Minaj Included?

© 2018 Celebeat.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join Our Conversation
Real Time Analytics